Nokia details Amber update for Lumia 920, 720, 620 and 520 smartphones
Posted on 8 Jul 2013 at 09:51, by Gareth Halfacree
According to details shared with BlogJack at a Hong Kong press event, the Lumia Amber update will add additional Nokia-specific features to the handsets including a Standby Time Display option, which runs the screen in a special low-power mode to constantly display the current time. It's a feature Nokia had previously introduced on its Symbian handsets. The update will also add ability to wake from the Standby Time Display mode to the more traditional lock screen with a simple double-tap.
The company also announced Lumia Colour Profile, which will allow users to adjust the colour temperature and saturation of the display, along with an improvement to image capture on the Lumia 920 which promises to fix white balance issues in low-light conditions, an extension to the automatic shooting mode which extends the ISO sensitivity from 800 to 3,200, and improved autofocus performance.
Camera users will also be given the Smart Camera app, which lets users automatically remove moving objects from a landscape scene, combine multiple images into a single still to convey motion or add background blur into an image.
Finally, the Lumia 520, Lumia 620 and Lumia 720 models will get support for low-power Bluetooth LE 4.0. This low-energy variant of Bluetooth is designed for always-on connections to headsets and other gadgets in a way that doesn't drain the battery.
Sadly, Nokia has not yet provide an official release date for the Lumia Amber update, but the software update is expected to appear some time in August.
Find a review
- Yotaphone dual-screen Android smartphone launches in Europe
- Apple iPhone 5S outselling 5C three to one in UK
- Virgin Media TV Anywhere now available on Android
- HTC to bring dual-SIM HTC One to UK
- Samsung unveils Galaxy Grand 2
- Virgin Media confirms iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c prices
- Instagram (finally) launches on Windows Phone
- UK buyers fleeced in tablet storage memory 'rip-off'
- BlackBerry revs up Porsche Design P’9982 smartphone
- Nexus 5 bumper cases now available through Google Play