Sony Xperia TX gets Android Jelly Bean update
Posted on 28 Mar 2013 at 09:38, by Gareth Halfacree
Sony has begun updating its Xperia TX Android smartphones to Jelly Bean, but anyone hoping to see the very latest 4.2 release appear on their handsets will be disappointed to learn that they are only getting Android 4.1.2.
While not the Android 4.2 release that adds features such as the PhotoSphere panorama camera mode, the update is still a version of Google's Jelly Bean OS and includes a raft of improvements over the device's previous Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich version, including performance boosts and a better notification system.
The update is believed to be the same as the one that rolled out for the Xperia T, including updates to Sony's own-brand Walkman, Album and Movies packages that improve the user interface and make them easier to use. The move to Jelly Bean also brings improved home screen features, extra resizable widgets and up to seven desktop panes, along with improvements to how apps can be organised in the App Drawer and into trays of linked applications.
While the Xperia T's update also brought with it improvements to the functionality of the rear-facing camera, including an improved viewfinder with auto-scene setting and the option to switch between front and back camera with a single touch, it is not yet known whether those improvements have made it across to the Xperia TX - although given the similarity between the two handsets, it's almost certain that they have.
For Xperia TX owners that want to upgrade their handsets to the new software release, the update can be downloaded and installed using Sony's PC Companion software now, with an over-the-air update likely to appear in the near future for those who would prefer to wait to be prompted.
Find a review
- iPhone 6 pictured in concept renders based on current rumour round-up
- Leaked images show iOS 8 running on Apple iPhone 5s
- Samsung Galaxy K Zoom cameraphone pictured ahead of official reveal
- iOS 8 release date, screenshots, features, news and rumours for new iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 operating system
- OnePlus One officially revealed, could challenge Nexus 5 for stock Android superiority
- LG G3 software leak suggests built-in fingerprint sensor
- NFC payments could power London travel
- Larger 5.5in iPhone 6 reportedly delayed until 2015
- Samsung Exynos 5430 processor with 2K display support, Intel LTE revealed
- Apple celebrates Earth Day with free product recycling