iPhone 5S in production at Foxconn, according to new source
Posted on 7 Mar 2013 at 09:36, by Gareth Halfacree
Foxconn, Apple's hardware manufacturing partner for its mobile devices, has begun production of the flagship iPhone 5S device ahead of its impending launch later this year, according to new rumours.
Based on a modified version of Apple's current iPhone 5, the iPhone 5S will apparently include a quad-core A7 ARM-based processor with significantly improved performance over the A6 chip found in the iPhone 5. The smartphone is also rumoured to include global 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) support thanks to a new radio chip from Qualcomm, helping fight off the competition from Nokia's Lumia 920 in Europe.
Other features tipped for the next-generation handset include an aluminium casing and fingerprint sensor that could increase its durability and security respectively. The device may also include iOS 7, Apple's latest mobile centric operating system. While Apple has not yet provided a firm launch date for the device, industry sources put it at between June and August, when it will be followed by a lower-cost polycarbonate handset.
Early rumours that the iPhone 5S will go into production in March appear to have proven accurate, with Japanese Apple news site Macotakara reporting that Foxconn has begun production of the handset to build up Apple's stock of the smartphone ahead of launch. While more recent rumours have claimed this launch will occur in August, it was analyst Peter Misek who suggested that production would begin in March for a June launch - suggesting Apple fans may get their hands on the device sooner rather than later.
For its part, Apple is still playing coy and refusing to admit that the iPhone 5S, or its cheaper plastic-body cousin, even exists - but if you're an Apple fan in the market for an upgrade, we'd certainly recommend waiting to see what the company has in store in the coming months.
Find a review
- iPhone 6 could use curved glass front panel
- iPhone Air – What does the iPhone 6 have in common with Bigfoot?
- Android ad traffic overtakes iOS for the first time
- iPhone 6 case compared with 5s, Nexus 5 in video leak
- HTC One (m8) leaked in red, headed to the US on Verizon first
- Latest iPhone 6 rumour points to curved display, all aluminium chassis
- iPhone 6 pictured in concept renders based on current rumour round-up
- Leaked images show iOS 8 running on Apple iPhone 5s
- Samsung Galaxy K Zoom cameraphone pictured ahead of official reveal
- iOS 8 release date, screenshots, features, news and rumours for new iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 operating system