iPhone 5S in production at Foxconn, according to new source
Posted on 7 Mar 2013 at 09:36, by Gareth Halfacree
Foxconn, Apple's hardware manufacturing partner for its mobile devices, has begun production of the flagship iPhone 5S device ahead of its impending launch later this year, according to new rumours.
Based on a modified version of Apple's current iPhone 5, the iPhone 5S will apparently include a quad-core A7 ARM-based processor with significantly improved performance over the A6 chip found in the iPhone 5. The smartphone is also rumoured to include global 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) support thanks to a new radio chip from Qualcomm, helping fight off the competition from Nokia's Lumia 920 in Europe.
Other features tipped for the next-generation handset include an aluminium casing and fingerprint sensor that could increase its durability and security respectively. The device may also include iOS 7, Apple's latest mobile centric operating system. While Apple has not yet provided a firm launch date for the device, industry sources put it at between June and August, when it will be followed by a lower-cost polycarbonate handset.
Early rumours that the iPhone 5S will go into production in March appear to have proven accurate, with Japanese Apple news site Macotakara reporting that Foxconn has begun production of the handset to build up Apple's stock of the smartphone ahead of launch. While more recent rumours have claimed this launch will occur in August, it was analyst Peter Misek who suggested that production would begin in March for a June launch - suggesting Apple fans may get their hands on the device sooner rather than later.
For its part, Apple is still playing coy and refusing to admit that the iPhone 5S, or its cheaper plastic-body cousin, even exists - but if you're an Apple fan in the market for an upgrade, we'd certainly recommend waiting to see what the company has in store in the coming months.
Find a review
- iOS 8 release date, screenshots, features, news and rumours for new iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 operating system
- Shocking! Nokia stops European sales of Lumia 2520 tablet
- BBC iPlayer and Sky Go not working on iPhone and iPad
- iOS 8 could get Shazam integration for Siri song recognition
- Leaked iPhone 6 battery images potentially confirm bigger screen rumours
- Chrome Remote Desktop now available for Android
- HTC releases Dual Lens camera SDK for HTC One (M8) developers
- LG G3 to arrive in gold, according to leaked retail box
- Amazon and Samsung partner up for custom Kindle store on Galaxy smartphones and tablets
- Google Camera Android app launches with Lens Blur effect