Android 5.0-running Nexus 5 to be based on LG G2, claims source
Posted on 15 Aug 2013 at 11:32, by Gareth Halfacree
LG's latest flagship phone, the G2 was announced to a great fanfare in New York. Though its image took a battering after a promotional stunt in South Korea saw seven sent to hospital. Ill-thought-out promotional activity aside, the smartphone - designed to go up against rival Samsung's Galaxy S4 - boasts some impressive features, including a 13-megapixel camera, 5.2in 1,080x1,920 Full HD edge-to-edge display and rear-mounted buttons.
It's these features, it is claimed, that will form the basis for Google's next-generation Nexus 5 handset. According to leaks published by MyDrivers, the Nexus 5 is to be built on Google's behalf by LG and will include the same large-format 5.2in Full HD IPS display as the LG G2. Internally, however, the powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor is claimed to be swapped out for a lower-performance model in order to keep the cost down closer to that of the Nexus 4.
Another area that may see specifications cut is the camera: with the current Nexus 4 having an eight megapixel snappper, a jump to a high-end 13-megapixel model seems unlikely; accordingly, the site's sources are suggesting that a 10-megapixel camera will be used instead.
The Nexus 5 will be the launch device for Google's Android 5.0 'Key Lime Pie,' the next-generation version of the operating system designed to take over from the Android 4.3 'Jelly Bean' that powers the Nexus 4. As with other releases, however, the most recent Nexus devices are likely to receive Android 5.0 as an over-the-air upgrade shortly after launch.
Google, for its part, has refused to comment on its plans for a Nexus 4 successor.
Find a review
- iPhone 6 could use curved glass front panel
- iPhone Air – What does the iPhone 6 have in common with Bigfoot?
- Android ad traffic overtakes iOS for the first time
- iPhone 6 case compared with 5s, Nexus 5 in video leak
- HTC One (m8) leaked in red, headed to the US on Verizon first
- Latest iPhone 6 rumour points to curved display, all aluminium chassis
- iPhone 6 pictured in concept renders based on current rumour round-up
- Leaked images show iOS 8 running on Apple iPhone 5s
- Samsung Galaxy K Zoom cameraphone pictured ahead of official reveal
- iOS 8 release date, screenshots, features, news and rumours for new iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 operating system