Sony Xperia Tablet Z specifications leak
Posted on 16 Jan 2013 at 10:04, by Gareth Halfacree
Sony could be working on a high-performance Xperia Tablet Z, if a new set of leaked specifications are to be believed.
According to details obtained from an unnamed source by Sony watcher Xperia Info and shared via Twitter, the Xperia Tablet Z will feature a 10.1in, Full HD 1,920x1,080 display powered by Sony's Bravia Engine - the same technology found in its upcoming Xperia Z smartphone - with a quad-core 1.5GHz ARM-based Snapdragon S4 Pro processor and 2GB of RAM. The device is tipped to include 32GB of user-accessible storage, which will not be upgradeable, and run Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean - not, sadly, the latest Android 4.2 release.
An 8.1-megapixel camera with autofocus should appear on the rear of the device, along with a 2.2-megapixel front-facing camera for video conferencing. Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0 and Near-Field Communications (NFC) hardware will also be onboard, as well as a version supporting mobile broadband via a Long Term Evolution (LTE) high-speed 4G connection. Power is provided by a 6,000mAh battery, but there's no indication of how long the device will last on a single charge.
Sony appears to have opted to create a more rugged device than most on the market. According to the leaked specifications, the Xperia Tablet Z will include IP55 and IP57 ratings for water and dust proofing - meaning that it should be quite at home in the rain, although is unlikely to survive extended submersion.
Sadly, the leak did not include details of pricing or availability, with Sony expected to launch the tablet in Japan first some time in the second quarter of this year, followed by a European launch in the summer.
Find a review
- Apple iPad Mini 2 specifications appear online
- BBM iOS, Android apps won't include tablet support, according to BlackBerry
- 8in Microsoft Surface could launch in June
- Google I/O 2013: what got announced - and what didn't
- Surface Pro UK price and release date revealed by Microsoft
- Nokia hints at Lumia Tablet plans
- iOS 7 release date, features, news and rumours
- AMD executive predicts hybrids will replace tablets
- iPad Mini 2 release date, price, features & specs rumours
- iPad 5 release date, price, features & specs rumours