Nokia Windows 8 tablet possibly snapped
Posted on 13 Feb 2013 at 10:38, by Gareth Halfacree
Eagle-eyed photographers at a Nokia event in Pakistan may have snapped the latest image of the long-rumoured Nokia Lumia tablet running Windows 8 - most probably Windows RT.
Images from the Pakistan launch event for the cut-price Lumia 620 and publicised by Nokia Gadgets show a tablet device running the tile-based Windows 8 user interface, sat next to a Lumia smartphone and an HDTV.
It's not the first we've heard about Nokia's plans to branch out from the smartphone market - company design chief Marko Ahtisaari mentioned he was spending a third of his time on tablet development in an interview back in March 2012, and Digitimes reported in December that Nokia has postponed development of a 10in tablet when Microsoft announced its own Surface RT.
Nokia's success in the Windows Phone ecosystem is undeniable: its Lumia smartphones have shot the company from last place in the market to becoming the top Windows Phone maker in the world with a 33.1 per cent share - buyers are even opting to purchase its flagship Lumia 920 handset over the rival Apple iPhone 5 - thanks largely to vastly superior support for non-US Long Term Evolution (LTE) 4G networks.
Nokia, for its part, has not commented on the image, but the company has form in the tablet market: its Maemo operating system powered early tablet-like devices known as the the Nokia Internet Tablet family. The ARM-powered devices, starting with the Internet Tablet 770 in 2005, were compact pocket-sized devices with touch-screen interfaces and, while not a commercial success, helped define the company's plans for the Lumia family.
A return to the tablet market could be good for Nokia: while a competitive market, the success of its Lumia smartphone range has given the company a badly-needed boost - but this time it will have to compete with strategic partner Microsoft for sales, rather than being the flag-carrier for the Windows brand.
Find a review
- Google Nexus 8 - specs, release date, news and price rumours
- Apple celebrates Earth Day with free product recycling
- Google Nexus 8 tablet could be built by HTC
- iTunes Radio UK launch date looking closer than ever
- Apple iPad Pro release date, specs, rumours, price
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 officially revealed in 7, 8 and 10.1in sizes
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 leaked ahead of official announcement
- Microsoft launches Office for iPad, available today
- Samsung Galaxy Note Pro advert pokes fun at rivals
- Google reportedly working on 8.9in Nexus tablet