MSI reveals Slider 20 hybrid ultrabook at CES 2013
Posted on 6 Jan 2013 at 15:30, by Tom Morgan
MSI has announced its first new laptop for 2013, the Slider 20, in the run up to CES. The Slider 20 is a convertible tablet with a slide-out keyboard, designed to combine the benefits of both tablets and traditional laptops.
Sliding hybrid tablets are nothing new – we’ve already seen the Windows 8-powered Sony VAIO Duo 11 and several designs running Android including the Asus EeePad Slider. MSI doesn’t appear to have changed the formula very much, but the specifications are suitably high-end: along with a Full HD 1080p display with 10-point capacitive touch, the Slider 20 will include an Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD. Weighing 2.2lbs and at less than an inch thick, it easily fulfils Intel’s latest Ultrabook specifications,
Equipped with two USB3 ports, mini HDMI video, Ethernet and Bluetooth, the Slider 20 is reasonably well connected for a hybrid machine. It also has a 720p high definition webcam for video conferencing, which MSI thinks will appeal to both students and working professionals.
“Many users prefer the mobility of a tablet, but still need the processing power of an actual laptop computer,” Andy Tung, vice president of sales for MSI US, said of the Slider 20 at the announcement. “MSI’s S20 Ultrabook Convertible solves that problem by combining the best of both worlds, giving users the choice of using it as a tablet or as a laptop.”
Available in the US in spring 2013, the Slider 20 will cost $1,199 – we’ve yet to hear about UK pricing or availability, but we’ll be sure to ask MSI’s representatives here at CES when we get our hands on one later this week.
Find a review
- Sony VAIO Fit multi-flip 11 review - hands on
- Toshiba KIRAbook review - hands on
- Lenovo MIIX 2 review - Hands on
- Laptops could soon follow phones with a one-for-all standardised charger
- Mozilla revamps Firefox for Android
- Asus Transformer Trio review - hands on
- MacBook Pro Retina (2013) price and release date revealed
- Acer Aspire S7 Pro gains business credentials - hands on
- Acer Travelmate range updated, gains P6 Ultrabook
- 2014 Apple line-up to include 12in Retina MacBook and budget iMac, according to analysts